Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I HAVE A 2015 BASS TRACKER 17FT W/MERC 60 HP I HAVE USED THE

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2015 BASS TRACKER 17FT W/MERC 60 HP
I HAVE USED THE BOAT MANY TIMES LAST YEAR IN SANDY HOOK AREA AND THE BOAT HANDLED VERY NICE EVEN IN ROUGH WEATHER
THIS YEAR I WENT FLUKING A FEW TIMES AND ENCOUNTERED NO PROBLEMS UNTIL THIS PAST FRIDAY
TO COMENSATE FOR THE WIND AND THE SPEED OF THE DRIFT, I RAN THE ENGINE IN REVERSE FOR APPROX 1/2 HR AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE COCKPIT FLOODED TO APPROX THE HEIGHT OF MY ANKLES(3) INCHES. IT SCARED THE BLANK OUT OF ME AND FISHING PARTNER.
I IMMEADIATELY TURNED THE BILDGE ON, HIT FORARD AND HEADED TO SHORE APPROX 4 MILES AWAY WATER WAS COMING OVER THE GUNNEL AT FIRST AND IN A FEW MINUTES I HAD ABOUT 1-1/2 INCHES OF CLEARANCE.
AT FULL THROTTLE I WAS ONLY ABLE TO GET A TOP SPEED OF 5 MPH
TIED UP THE BOAT AT THE RAMP MADE SURE THE SUMP PUMP WAS ON AND HEADED FOR A DRINK. CAME BACK IN ABOUT 40 MIN AND THE BILGE PUMP WAS STILL WORKING
THE ONLY CHANGE FROM MY NORMAL OPERATION WAS USING REVERSE OVER AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME.
WHEN I PULLED THE COCK PLUG QUITE A BET OF WATER WAS STILL IN THE BILGE.
DO YOU THINK IT WAS DUE TO GOING IN REVERSE
THANKYOU FOR YOUR ANSWER
JOE OLESKE
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello Joe. My name is Tan.

Since this is the only thing different you did yes. There would be no other reason. When running in reverse this can force allot of water in through the scuppers on the deck.

The reason you had no real speed is due to the extra weight of the water in the boat.

Now the water coming in from the transom will go into the bilge of the boat causing flooding.

Are you having any issues since you have gotten the water out of the boat like taking on water?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I REALLY DONT HAVE WHAT I WOULD CLASSIFY AS A DECK HAVING SCUPPERS. WHEN YOU SAY THE TRANSOM ARE YOU SAYING THE PORT SIDE OPENINGS IS WHERE THE WATER IS COMING IN AND NOT FROM THE STERN, (THE WATER INTAKES FOR THE LIVE WELLS) AS FAR AS YOUR LAST QUESTION, I WONT KNOW UNTIL I LAUNCH THE BOAT AGAIN
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Yes if the boat went down deep enough it could get water in through those openings.

The angle of the engine when you put it in reverse pulls the back/transom of the boat down deeper into the water. The faster you go the deeper it will sink.