Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

1965 sea skiff 283 185 HP starter suddenly will not turn

Customer Question

1965 sea skiff 283 cid 185 HP starter suddenly will not turn over engine although the solinoid is slamming in like its supposed to, but no cranking. Changed starter, no change. Hear a high pitched whining sound similar to a camera flash. Battery is fine, jumping doesnt help. Is there another component I'm not aware of?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** the spark plugs and see if you can turn the motor over. You could have water in the cylinders or a transmission issue. Have you checked the oil in engine and transmission?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hasn't been in water this season. ran the other day (19')
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Did you have water connected to the motor to run it the other day?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
oil is fine, same oil for reverse gear of course, never ran for more than three minutes. not good for reverse gear
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This seems like an electrical issue.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Ok lets do some voltage tests. Do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
yup I think there is some sort of starter crank relay in addition to the solenoid on the starter. It may be in with the old style voltage regulator box, cause that's where that sound is comin from
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Ok lets check the voltage at the starter motor when key is in crank position. We want to check the voltage on the battery cable connection on the starter it self. What is the voltage reading?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
pls stnd by...........
cant findleads
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Ok no rush will be here all day. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
12 volts at starter from batt in crank
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Ok on the starter we ned to check voltage at the C terminal when key is in crank position. What is your voltage?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what is the c terminal
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Open the link I sent you. This is the terminal on the start solenoid just below the battery cable connection.

Here's the link again.http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/jacksparrow1956/f4b4d029-a43f-4a32-8398-8ad685b29bc0_Starter20Solenoid.png

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Look, the new starter is doing the exact same thing.
I see the diagram
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

We have to do voltage tests to find what the issue is. I can't tell you what is wrong without testing. This is a process of elimination. You are the one who thinks this is an electrical issue.

Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Where would you suggest we start?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you know this engine as originally supplied?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This has been a waste of my time.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

No. But I have been working on marine engine for over 40 years and know how systems work. I don't see what that has to do with troubleshooting the issue. The voltage regulator won't have anything to do with the start circuit.

Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

I guess you can't do the tests. This is a waste of my time I guess you don't want you engine fixed. Good luck. Take it to a Marina and see what they charge to do the tests I am asking you to do.

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Mike my name is***** am another expert here. Do you still need help with the issue?