Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My 2006 60hp big foot is not firing on the top cylinder. I

Customer Question

my 2006 60hp big foot is not firing on the top cylinder. I have spark, as it shocks the hell out of me when I touch the spark plug wire connection and try to pull it off. It looks like the spark plug wire has been damaged putting the cover on over time. I see a few small tears in the spark plug connection cover.
I switched the plugs and that is not the problem. I have not checked the compression of the top cylinder. Any suggestions?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Charles,

In order to tell if the top cylinder is sparking or not you would need to hook up a timing light to the top plug wire and see if the light is flashing or not. Is that something you can do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a timing light, but have not used in years.
I am pretty sure it is sparking, because it shocks the hell out of me when I grab the spark plug cover to pull it off the plug.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hook up the timing light to the top plug wire, hit the button, and let me know if it flashes or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This boat is at a lake house an hour and half from me, so I can't get back to work on it for a couple weeks.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay no problem, there are no time limits here. Just reply back when you have a result and we can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. May be a few weeks. Don't forget me.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I won't forget you, usually it's customers that forget about us.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Jason: I hooked the timing light up. The light was flashing when I hit the trigger. I also checked the compression of the cylinders. All had about 100 psi. It will crank, but runs very rough. When I pull the plug wire off the top cylinder, I don't notice it running any different. That is not the case when I pull the plug wire off the lower two cylinders.