Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 5.7 Volvo penta engine. Ran it last week without

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I have a 5.7 Volvo penta engine. Ran it last week without incident. Drove 400 miles and offloaded and it wouldn't turn over
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: checked fuses, various connections, the kill switch, the throttle by moving it back and forth and neutral and no crank
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What is the model number on the engine?

What kinds of questions did you have?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have that handy, I ran the boat last week and transported it to a vacation location. Got the boat in the water and it wouldn't crank. The Key turns and you hear all sorts of things whizzing but no engine crank. Make sure the kill switch was solid, the batter cables, hit a bunch of red buttons on the engine area and nothing. Never had this happen before.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. Was the shifter in neutral when trying to crank the engine? Did you try holding the key to start with one hand and wiggling the shifter with the other hand?