Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I have a 2003 135hp Optimax what is the "Chrck Paddle" alarm

Customer Question

I have a 2003 135hp Optimax what is the "Chrck Paddle" alarm refer to?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Ron, my name is Jason.

Are you having some sort of problem that you are trying to solve, or did you just need to know what the check paddle means?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What are the Paddles that the error refers to? Engine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Engine alarms overheat at low speed
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

The check paddle doesn't have anything to do with overheating, nor will it cause an alarm. Are you getting an alarm for overheating? Do you have a temp gauge reading high or a temp light also flashing along with the alarm?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok so what does the Check Paddle alarm mean. Yes it runs hot at low speeds after 5-10 minutes. Also after running at high speed and throttling to slow speed it runs up to 180-/+ quickly. Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Check paddle is for a paddlewheel style speedometer. These are one style of speedometers sensors that the engine can use to tell speed. It is an optional sensor, not every boat is equipped with them. If your boat is not equipped with a paddlewheel sensor there will always be a check paddle code stored in the engines computer. It doesn't cause any kind of alarms or anything like that. Click this link below, this is what a paddlewheel sensor looks like.

Do you have any other questions on the issue?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No thanks for your help
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

It looks like you read my reply without putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Ron. Just checking in. Did you have any further questions on the issue?