Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Engine runs but only above about 1200 to 1400 rpms. Kills

Customer Question

Engine runs but only above about 1200 to 1400 rpms. Kills when at ideal. I can see fuel coming from jets in carb. ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I can't drive when I can't ideal down to shift. Single handle.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: 1967 Correct Craft, 210 hp Chrysler Marine, carter 4 barrel carb. Ran great yesterday then started acting up.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Inboard.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Try closing the choke plate will it idle down now? You have either an air leak in the intake or the carb is clogging up in the idle circuit of the carb. Have you changed the fuel filters?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Choke half open. No change open all way or closed. Fuel filter changed last year. Run only nonoxy fuel only.
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Ok start engine up run for a few minutes let idle down till it dies. When engine quits look down the throat of the carb do you see fuel dribbling in the throat of the carb? Do you see puddled fuel in the bottom of intake when throttle is wide open?