Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a Verado 175 and yesterday noticed a strange rough

Customer Question

I have a Verado 175 and yesterday noticed a strange rough sound coming when accelerating. Sounds normal at idle and slow speeds but sounds a little rough when accelerating. Also the oil temperature gauge goes up to the high end (180) of the scale when rpm goes up over 3000. Oil level is up good (1/2 way on the dipstick).
Any idea? Probably just going to haul it in and get it looked at, but just wondering if any of you might recognize the problem?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

When was the last time that the cooling system was serviced?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
two years ago
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Thanks. does the engine ever get hot?

Is the boat used in salt water?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Engine does not overheat, that is the strange thing, engine temp gauge stays right in middle normal range. Fresh water 100% in Lake of the Woods 100% of the time.
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Could you see any metal flake in the engine oil? How old is the engine oil?

Remove the 4 plugs and look at the tips. does one look any different than the other?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oil was changed last September.
No flakes on the dipstick. I will take a look at the spark plugs and reply later.
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Thanks. I will be here most of the rest of the day.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just checked the spark plugs and they are all mint clean. What is the normal oil temperature?
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

The oil temp can get rather high. I have seen them up over 200 at times. If you are not getting an alarm, it is ok.

Can you put the plugs back in, then run the engine on a hose with the hood off. Listen for any noises from the supercharger or the mid housing, or the gear case.