Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

It's a Yamaha 115 outboard. Won't start unless I physically

Customer Question

It's a Yamaha 115 outboard. Won't start unless I physically pull on the kill switch. But the minute I let go, the engine stops
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Just did
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** kill switch is bad replace the kill switch. The switch is internally shorted causing it to kill the engine.

For a test disconnect the wires on the kill switch does engine start and run Ok?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Which wire(s) should I disconnect?
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Either wire on the back of the kill switch it doesn't matter. White.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The switch is on the bottom of the throttle which is integrated with the side of the boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Well the switch being bad you have to remove the cointrol to replace the switch so it has to come out. Can you access the control from behind? Can you access the ignition switch? Disconnect the white wire from the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can get to the ignition switch under the binnacle. But the only way I can see to disconnect the white wire would be to clip it
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

You can cut it you will have to splice it back together when you replace the kill switch. You may not be able to shut the engine off till you splice it back together.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
you're sure it's a white wire?
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Could I get the engine model number please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yamaha 115. Anything else you need?
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

I need the model number I know it is a 115 but I need the complete engine model number. There should be a series of letters after the 115.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Give me a couple of minutes please
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

No problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
F115tlr
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

The stop wire is the black with a white stripe .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. Just discovered that the lanyard fell out. That's all it was.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Oops. This is a lesson at least.

Your welcome. What you were doing is what the lanyard does. When the kill switch goes bad many times you can hold the button out where the lanyard won't hold it out far enough.

Your welcome...

Please don't forget to positively rate my time helping you as that is the only way I get credit for helping you.

Thank you..........Tan