Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 28 hp pontoon boat that i bought used. The seller

Customer Question

I have a Johnson 28 hp pontoon boat that i bought used. The seller said the boat sat for a couple of years. I put in new gas and had to use carb cleaner to start the engine. i put in a carburetor kit and a fuel pump kit. The engine starts now and runs well at idle up to mid throttle but at high throttle the engine wants to cut out. As far as electronics all i did was change the spark plugs.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: with the correct gas & oil mixture i put in a can of sea foam.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The fuel oil ratio is 50:1 or 2.56 ounces of oil to 1 gallon of gas.

When you run the boat at full throttle squeeze the primer bulb does it run better? If no change choke the engine momentarily. Does it run better?

Did you do a spark and compression test before purchase?