Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA

The gas nozzle broke and went in fuel tank, now what?

Customer Question

Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Hi Carmen my name is Kenny

You mean, gas nozzle like for a gas pump or something else ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was filling with a gas can and the plastic 3 inch nozzle broke off and fell in gas tank
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Well its not the end of the world, obviously you don't want things bouncing around inside the fuel tank, but it really shouldn't hurt anything if you are at the lake, that doesn't mean that I would leave in it in the tank. Pulling the fuel tank to extract it would be the way to easily see it and take it out, however that's going to require pulling the engine and then the fuel tank, that's something that's going to take a lot of time and if you are going to go and have a dealer perform the work that's going to cost you big money.

Here is what I would do, if you have a Harbor Freight tool store you can find a bendable picker upper (I'll post a link) You will need to pull the fuel pump (which can be performed with the tank in the hull) that way you have a pretty big hole to see in the tank and be able to get into to remove the nozzle, I suggest running the ski almost out of fuel or remove as much as you can.

If you are going to Harbor Freight then they carry small dental type mirrors on a swivel, you might grab one of those so if you need to look around in the tank once the fuel pump is out you'll be able to do so.

Give me a bit here and I will post up a PDF file on how to get the fuel pump out.

in the mean time I will post the links at what to get .

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Here is the file on the pump removal, click on the link and download and save a copy, once viewed they are removed.

Thanks, ***** ***** know of you have any questions, its a pretty easy job.

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Carmen just following up, did you get my last response ?

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 3 months ago.

Hi Carmen this is just a follow up on your question, if more help is needed please reply back and we can continue and further diagnosing your problem, if satisfied with my help, please accept as I can get credited for helping you. Thanks again for using Just Answer, if help is need in the future, you can request my assistance and will be glad to help.