Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

1990 Silverton 34 CC Crusader 454s. Batts Charger Replaced

Customer Question

1990 Silverton 34 CC Crusader 454s. Batts Charger Replaced last season. Electrical Issue. Blower, Shower Pump, Fwd Bilge Not Functioning. Power intermittently stops working on other switches. Blower Swich switched on illuminates lights on other panel and Batt Banks. FWD Bilge on Main Bank A switched on illuminates LEDs on Main Bank B. When Blower is switched on Blower Motor turns at very low RPM(Audible). Last night replaced Charger and 1 Batt nothing changed. In fact Stern light came on intermittently and would not turn off. I switched both Batts off at the Switch(On/Off Orange Selector which did not work. I had to disconnect the Batt to turn light off last night.Have you seen this before? Suggestions?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

When you have strange things going on and off intermittently look for a bad ground. We need to check the grounds on the batteries and the engine make sure they are clean and tight. Be sure all the grounds are connected to the batteries. If just one ground is left off, loose or corroded it will cause things like this.

If everything on batteries are correct then we will need a volt meter to check for where the issue is.

Do you have a meter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I do have a meter. Batt terminals are clean, connecting wires are clean and appear to be in great shape. Should I be looking for a common ground terminal?
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Yes this can be an issue as they are in different places on every boat so I can't tell you where it is. Look for a terminal strip behind the electrical panel. All the grounds will connect there and then locate the ground source to the strip.

What you need to do as a test is connect the red meter lead to a positive 12 source and the negative to the ground source. Now turn on some accessories. Does the voltage go away or drop drastically?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will check that shortly. Battery Charger is giving me a warning light that the Batts are wired in Backwards. The Batts def are not wired in backwards.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

OK. A bad connection or poor ground can cause some strange things to happen.