Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Float stuck in the open position, causing fuel to leak from

Customer Question

Float stuck in the open position, causing fuel to leak from vast. Fuel system was gone through in the fall, and it was fine till after fuel pump was replaced.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Was leaking fuel last year but not as much and from a different place. Was repaired in fall and was find. After winter wouldn't start. Fuel pump was replaced and it ran but then was leaking fuel from bottom of vast. Float was stuck open. Was running fine but fuel was leaking out considerably. Had the vst opened up and they said there was debris particles in reservoir. Flushed it out and it it worked good with no leaking. Only drove boat a short distance and parked it it sat for 1 week and when I stared it, it was leaking again.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Don't think so. Running rec fuel in it because they said that's what caused the problem to start with. The ethanol in the regular fuel.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The debris is causing the issues. Some times the debris comes from the fuel lines deteriorating. The other cause could be contaminated fuel. The debris that was cleaned out of the VST was it black particles?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
but all fuel related parts,lines, seals, prints etc. we're all replaced in the fall. Supposedly fuel from supplier was tested and found clean.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

If it was all cleaned where is the debris coming from? Have you opened the VST tank up yet and checked for debris again? Was the inlet needle replaced or just cleaned?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They just cleaned it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It hasn't been taken off again.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Maybe I don't understand what is your question?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How to correct the problem from happening again.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

What did they find when they cleaned the VST before. We have to know what the contaminate was to stop the problem from happening again. If it is still leaking then they didn't clean the system as good as they should have. The contamination is coming from somewhere and we have to know what it is to stop it.

The contamination can only come from deteriorating fuel components or fuel. Get fuel from somewhere else and replace all deteriorating fuel components. That is how you stop it from happening again.

Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can any debris get pass the fuel filter. All parts were replaced. Could debris have gotten in when changing fuel filter?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Excuse me. When they changed fuel pump.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Yes the fuel pump can leave debris. The fuel filter will catch allot of debris but not all. To get more of the debris you would have to go with a smaller micron filter.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you let fuel pump from from the pump before it gets to vst to flush out any other debris?
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Disconnect the fuel line from the top of VST. Direct hose into a container and squeeze the primer bulb. Then you can look in the container for debris.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you think there is any reason I can't do this myself. I'm fairly competent and I don't want to have them take the boat out of the water. But I do want to remedy this situation quickly. Mechanically I've had some some experience working on motors.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

This is pretty simple. Just locate the fuel line coming from the fuel pump on the engine then follow to the VST. Disconnect from VST. Get a clear container direct fuel line into the container and squeeze the primer bulb till you get a good amount of fuel. Then inspect the fuel for debris. If clean reattach the fuel line to VST. If dirty dump container and try again do this till fuel is clean. If the fuel continues to get contaminants then we need to find the culprit of the contamination.

Post back with your findings.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Your welcome....................Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get credit for helping you.

Follow up questions are always welcome even after you have rated.

THank you..........Tan