Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1991 Tracker Pontoon, with a 40hp, equipped with a

Customer Question

I have a 1991 Tracker Pontoon, with a 40hp Johnson, equipped with a VRO oil delivery system. The boat has been in storage for several years but still looks good. Engine cranks and starts for a short period when sprayed with carb cleaner, but won't stay running. All the time that the ignition key is "on" the VRO warning horn blows continuously Battery was charged and load tested. It is in good condition. Fuel filter was changed, gas tank was emptied and cleaned and filled tank with with five gallons of fresh treated gas. The VRO tank is over half full of old oil but it doesn't look contaminated. So my question to you is what needs to be done? Is it time for a new VRO pump or does it just need to have the carbs rebuilt? Michael Reevas from Tinley Park, Illinois. ***@******.***
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

If the engine runs when spraying carb cleaner in the car the carbs are clogged up or the inlet needle is stuck shut. When you alarm blows continuously is the alarm 1/2 second on 1/2 off continuous? Or is it one long alarm?