Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I AM surprised by your answer. In the schipchandler you find

Customer Question

I AM surprised by your answer. In the schipchandler you find two types of coolant blue and red. In Grenada WI where I am now both are concentrate. Ido not see the difference between both but I would like to be sure to use the good coolant for my engine not for anti freezing of course but for anti corrosion . Does I have to mix the coolant with water and in which proportion?
Cordially
Alain
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alain. Regardless of the color you still want to use coolant that is ethylene glycol based. If you are going to a parts store, or marina, you specifically want to ask for "ethylene glycol" based coolant. When you look at bottles of coolant, it needs to say ethylene glycol someplace on the bottle.

Coolant comes 2 ways, it comes pre-mixed and full strength. If you buy it pre-mixed you can just dump the bottle into the engine. If it comes full strength, you would need to mix that 50/50 with distilled water. Does that make sense to you?