Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Do you need to remove the power head in order to replace 50

Customer Question

do you need to remove the power head in order to replace 50 HP 1973 Johnson 2 stroke rings? OR can you remove the head and replace rings w/o removing entire engine?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

To gain the access needed to remove the piston from the engine block, you will need to remove the cylinder head and the complete intake including the reeds. With the top cylinder reading 0 PSI, I would suspect that there is also cylinder wall damage. Before you order any parts, you should remove the cylinder head and inspect the walls and the piston. you may actually need to get the engine resleeved in order to begin a repair.