Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 1977 85 hp v4 Evinrude I used the boat to go BBQ

Customer Question

I have a 1977 85 hp v4 Evinrude I used the boat to go BBQ and it ran good but had a slight miss at full throttle, went to BBQ the next afternoon it started normal but when i tried to give it throttle it just started to bog down and would not run but when i hit the choke it started to run better for a second then bog down
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

How long before the trip to the BBQ had the boat been sitting?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1, 2 days
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Compression 120 all 4 cyl carbs rebuilt, replaced theplckup under flywheel, rectify when me and my buddy checking every thing possible he did notice the spark plug boot leaking (shocked him) can't figure it out
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

The spark plug boot that got your buddy is bad, they do fail over time.

With the engine running and you hitting the choke, and it runs better, this tells me that you have a fuel delivery issue. The carbs are going to need to come back off the engine and be opened up. then the jets removed from the carb and cleaned with a good carb cleaner and compressed air. Once the jets are cleaned and the carb passages are cleaned, reinstall the carbs. Replace the needles if you did not do so earlier as well.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I hit the choke it tries to go for a second then bog he thought it was the float level we adjusted and a little worse than before at idle he shut the choke butterfly to 1/4 in to being shut sounded good