Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 1997 Mariner 40 hp magnum. It won, It won't start.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I have a 1997 Mariner 40 hp magnum. It won
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: It won't start. I put in new plugs,fresh gas the primer bulb gets hard & fuel filter shows gas about 2/3 full. Any suggestions?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: The filter is several years old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Have you checked for spark?

Could I get the engine serial number please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. Serial # *****
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not checked for spark!
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

We need to check for spark on all cylinders. This requires the use of a spark gap tester.

Here is an example of the tester. Most auto parts stores carry this type of tester.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have a spark tester . I'll try that next. Jerry
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Ok Jerry. We have to verify that we have compression spark and fuel. One of these missing will cause your symptoms.

You can try squirting gas into the carburetors. If the engine pops off we have spark to some extent meaning we aren't getting fuel to the engine. If the engine has been sitting for awhile the carbs are most likely gummed up. If the engine does nothing then locate the switch box and disconnect the black/yellow wire from the switch box and try starting again. If nothing then squirt some fuel into the cars again see if engine pops off.

Post back with findings and we can continue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, I'll have to test it out tomorrow Thanks again, Jerry
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Ok Jerry keep me posted...Tomorrow is fine.