Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Took the thermostat out of my 1984 model 260 Mercruiser and

Customer Question

Took the thermostat out of my 1984 model 260 Mercruiser and now I can't figure out how to put it back! Took it out last fall for winterizing so I guess my memory is getting bad. From the looks of all the silicone blobs around it, it's been out many times before !
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope !
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get your engine serial number please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh gosh, the boat is about 20 miles from where I am now !!
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Ok let me see what I can do.

Does this look like your T-stat housing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Afraid not ...... In one part of the housing there are two balls and two springs ??!!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks anyways, but I'm going to end this session; I'm sure I'll recover from the $5.00 loss. Have a good day.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Mercruisers are cataloged by serial number not model year. So anytime you have questions on your motor you need the serial number.

I'm only guessing on what you have. If you do get the serial number I can help.