Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have 1984 125 force and I am having trouble shifting into

Customer Question

I have 1984 125 force and I am having trouble shifting into reverse. The throttle comes up before reverse is fully engaged.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I am fearful I will damage gears.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Is there a way to adjust throttle linkage to come up later when pulling handle aft?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** whom am I speaking with?

It sounds like the shift cable is stretched and worn out. Do you have any idea the last time it had a new shift cable installed?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Are you still with me?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The cables are not warn out. There must some adjustment
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

The end of the cable has a barrel nut on it. You can try adjusting that barrel nut so that the shift cable pushes/pulls on the shift linkage a little more. But if you do that, and all of a sudden you loose forward gear, then that would prove the cable is worn out. Are you near the outboard now to do this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Why would the throttle come up quicker when going into reverse than forward.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

That is controlled by the amount of "throw" inside of the shifter box.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I understand that the throw comes from the control box, but it there a way to limit the amount of throttle in reverse?
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

but it there a way to limit the amount of throttle in reverse?

No. That is all controlled by the control box. There is no way to limit it, or add to it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will try I will come back later.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Sounds good. Let me know what happen. Out of curiosity how old is the shift cable, is it more than 10 years old?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hello, just checking in, any progress?

Jason