Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a thunderbolt iv ingnition system on a 350. The

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: I have a thunderbolt iv ingnition system on a 350. The timing is set at 10 degrees and the advance kicks in at about 3000rpm. but when it comes back down to idle the timing will retard back to zero and the boat will idle like shit
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: well
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I do apologize for the delay. Most of us are on the east coast on eastern time. I read what you wrote. Did you have any specific or general question that you wanted me to answer? Or did you want me to tell you what I think based on what you have written so far?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Reply to what I wrote
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

It's going to be 1 of 2 things. Either the distributor bushing are worn, or the ignition module is shot. All you need to do is pull the distro cap off, grab the rotor shaft and make sure there isn't any excessive play in it. If that feels tight, then go ahead and either replace the module, or convert the system to a Delco Voyager EST system (Which is what most people do when they have a bad TB4 ignition module, the EST system as a whole is both cheaper, and better, than a single TB4 ignition module)

Does that all make sense to you?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Did you have any other questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Are you still with me?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me. If you have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service.

Thanks again,

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hello. No rating has been put through for my service, did you have any further questions on this issue?

Thanks,

Jason