Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a Westerbeke 5.0 BCG mini low profile generator, less

Customer Question

Good morning, I have a Westerbeke 5.0 BCG mini low profile generator, less than 100 hours on the unit. I have changed the canister fuel filter, and the exhaust temperature switch 032923 because the mounting bracket had a spot well broke, thus not allowing the switch to set properly in place, Per the installation instruction in the tech manual, I also applied a think layer of thermo paste to the switch.Problem. the generator runs fine for 41 - 43 minutes, then shuts down, just like you shut the switch off. I have checked temperatures and nothing registers hot, actually temps are very nice.
I have also put in a new water pump impeller, and had the heat exchanger cleaned, water flow is no issue, plenty of water.
Seem like one of the other safety switches are at fault, any idea?
Thank you
Paul
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello Paul. My name is Tan.

The only other switch that will shut engine down is oil pressure switch. Have you changed the oil? We need to check oil pressure. If oil pressure is in spec then you have a bad oil pressure switch.

What you can do is disconnect the oil pressure switch and see if engine shuts down. I can't see it loosing oil pressure after running that long all of a sudden. More like a switch failure.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oil iis clean, only a few hours on the oil and filter.
It has two oil pressure switches one operates closed the other operates open.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Correct have you checked either of these switches?

Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

The way to test the switches is to test each switch when engine is running then test when engine shuts down. Use an ohm meter.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will retest the switches again and see what I can find .
Thank you
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Ok it is best to test them when they act up. What I do is test before start up, then test when running and finally when genset shuts down.

Post back with questions and findings.