Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have a yamaha model 50TLR and I'm trying to find the

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I have a yamaha model 50TLR and I'm trying to find the initial setting for the air intake screws on the carburators. Also, is there a place somewhere on the intake that I can hook up a vacuum gages to balance the air intake across a 3 carburators?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The initial idling settings on the carbs are of 1 and 1/2 turns out from fully in position. Unfortunately there is no where to connect the vacuum gauges. to the intake. As for the idling settings you need to do the following:

Throttle back engine to idle for about one minute to allow RPMs to stabilize.
2. With engine running at idle speed-- turn low speed mixture screw IN (clockwise) until engine starts to “bog” down and misfire. Back out 1/4 turn or more.

Repeat this for both carbs.

If you require further assistance let me know.

Noel

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My Yamaha 50TLR has 3 carburators; the throttle positions are tied together with the accelerator red lever and the global idle is set at the middle carburator with an idle adjust screw linked to the accelerator rod.My model is 50TLR 6H5K L(###) ###-####Where is the low speed mixture screw, is that the air intake adjustment screw (pilot screw)?I rebuilt my middle carburator and no longer have full speed in water.Ed

Hi Ed, the low speed mixture screw is the idle air adjustment. When you say you have rebuilt the carb, most probably you need to rebuild the other two, if not then you may need to adjust the float level as it may be restricting the fuel flow at top speed.

noel