Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have a 35hp motor 35EL76G. The wires were cut when they

Customer Question

I have a johnson 35hp motor 35EL76G. The wires were cut when they removed the motor from the pontoon boat it was on. I just want to hook up the starter and nothing else. The boat is set up for a tiller drive, so i can shift manually and manual choke. The wires are black, red, brown, green, white, blue, and yellow. I need to know what wires i need and how to wire just a push button starter and a kill switch.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I think that should do it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The wires you need to wire up start button are the red and the yellow/red/ Connect these 2 wires to the push button. Then for the stop button you need the black and the black/yellow. Connect these 2 wires to the stop switch.

You only listed one black wire is there 2 one black with yellow stripe?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All the wires are solid only.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Ok the wires you need for the stop switch are blue and black. Then the start switch red and yellow or white. Look at the start solenoid on the small terminals what color are the wires?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Looks like yellow and red are together on top and white on the side.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Ok is the yellow on the small terminal and the red on the larger terminal?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yellow and red are on large positive terminal on top and white is on small terminal on the side and goes to negative on battery.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

You should have 2 small terminals one is for ground the other is for start.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Actually the white wire from other small terminal is connected to negative battery on starter frame (ground).
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Here is a diagram of the start circuit. #3 goes to the start button. It can be any color. # ***** is ground.

Post back if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is this to be wired to a regular on/off toggle switch?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Never mind. I got it. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You're awesome!
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Start should be wired to a momentary on/off. So it springs back to off once engine starts. On the off switch it can be the same switch you just have to hold the switch till it quits. If you put a on/off switch you forget which position is off and it can make for hard starting. So both switches momentary on the off when you release.

Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get credit for helping you.

Thank you..........Tan