Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have a Mercruiser I/O on a 2014 SeaRay 190 Sport. I put it

Customer Question

Hi Pearl-
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I have a Mercruiser I/O on a 2014 SeaRay 190 Sport. I put it in the water for the first time this season last Saturday and the speedo doesn't work. I think I know where the inlet is but not sure how to get to the hose to blow it out. (assuming it is clogged)
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I had it serviced last fall and I guess it is possible they disconnected it when they serviced it?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Chances are the hole on the drive is the only issue. The hose usually never clogs. It can get kinked or pinched. To clear the pick up locate the hole on the very front of the lower part of the drive and with a very small drill bit 1/16" using your hands drill out the debris.

Here is a pic of the location of the hole.

Post back with questions and findings if this doesn't work. The easiest way to check the hose is to either disconnect it at the drive or from the speedo and blow through the hose.

Here is a video on the subject.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks! I will give it a whirl.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Here is the connection on the drive.

Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get credit for helping you.

Follow up questions are always welcome even after rating on this subject.

Thank you.........Tan