Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

My port engine alarm went off while trolling Its not beeping

Customer Question

My port engine alarm went off while trolling Its not beeping twice just one steady beep.
Shut down engine and later on i ran it again at about 7 mph then it went off again.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Lou, my name is Jason.

Is the alarm a beep beep beep.... or is it 1 long beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
one long beep and I turn off the engine. Later I turn it on then it has one long beep until I turn it off. My out drive reservoir is full that happened the last time and i filled it up last year then it when away
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Does the alarm go off at a higher speed? When was the last time the impeller was changed on the engine? Do you recall what the temperature and oil pressure gauges were reading?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did not want to risk damage to the engine. Like I said i was just trolling. The impellers were changed this year
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

The engine could be overheating

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

The constant alarm goes off for 2 reasons, engine overheat or low oil pressure. If the problem only happens at low rpms that usually points to overheat.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well no idea. As stated before last year it went off and reservoir to the out drive was low and once I filled it it went away. The oil was also changed less than a year ago and the impellers this year. Is there any parts that may need to be replaced
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

There is an easy way to eliminate the oil reservoir as a possible cause. Disconnect one of the wires.

Now what does the oil pressure gauge read when alarm sounds?

What does the temperature gauge read when the alarm sounds?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I really did not notice I was just too worried about ruining the engine and my boat is at the marina which is about a half an hour away. I guess I will just have to check it out next weekend. Any other things you recommend to look for while I'm there
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

If your temp and oil pressure are reading normally and the alarm still sounds after disconnecting the gear lube bottle that leaves a failing sensor.

This will require the use of a scanner to determine which is failing. You will have to go to a dealer unless you have one for this test.

That's the problem with these new engines there is only so much you can do to find a problem.

Post back with findings and questions.