Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Issue with 1996 Seadoo GTX. I button key in and get 2 beeps

Customer Question

Issue with 1996 Seadoo GTX. I button key in and get 2 beeps but when I press start button nothing happens. I can jump across the starter relay and the ski will start and run about 20 seconds and die. I have replaced starter relay, ignition coil and start button but nothing works?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Ski ran earlier this year, was rolled and of course got water in electronics. Even after that the ski ran but had a water leak in the exhaust. after fixing the leak the ignition problem started.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'm the PWC Specialist, who am I speaking to ?

I read your original statement, I think you might have a few things going on ? I will need some history on this ski, best of your knowledge have the carb(s) every been off that you know of, and when was that.

You claim that you were using this unit earlier this year, how long ago was that, and how was it running then ?

Did water get into the rear electrical box ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Kenny,
Carb was rebuilt last year and I replaced all fuel lines and filters. This was spring of 2015 ski ran fine all year.
Late April on the lake 2 days and ran fine. The rider thought it picked up a rick so he fliped the ski to remove the rock. Then when he righted the ski he flipped it the wrong way which flooded the engine. Once they got the ski back to me I removed the plugs, cranked the engine to clear the water. Ski started an ran but had a water leak around one cylinder. I removed the engine, replaced the gaskets reinstalled engine. Leak fixed but now starting issue.
Yes water got in front and rear electrical box. I put new ignition coil and starter relay in thinging that was the problem but that did not solve the issue.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

OK, you'll need a multi-meter for the test below, first establish battery voltage by measuring voltage right at the battery, then using your meter check for voltage as I pointed out below. This a good place to start

In the rear electrical box, you'll find a yellow/red wire, unplug that wire and check for voltage on that wire when you press the started button.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will give that a try but that opportunity will not happen until Wednesday as I'm out of town. I will undate once I have the results. Thanks
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

Hey no problem, when you get back, just let me know what you find out, and we'll pick it up from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, voltage at battery just under 13 volts. Voltage at yellow/red wire when pressing start button is nothing.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

So you have 2 yellow/red wires at the MPEM, one will go up to the start switch and one to the solenoid, the yellow/red that goes to the start switch can you try grounding that switch and then check for voltage at the yellow/red at the solenoid ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Visuals are so much easier to follow but let's see if I have this right. The yellow/red going from the MPEM to the start button, do I disconnect the start button and at that connection ground the yellow/red coming from the MPEM to that connection or do I leave the start button connected and ground it? Of course grounding it I'm just running a wire from the yellow/red wire to the negative side of battery, what trying to sound stupid just want to make sure I don't short something out and of course the engine is aluminum so that won't work??? Then negative terminal from meter to negative on battery and then positive terminal of meter to yellow/red at solenoid.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If what I wrote was correct (fortunately nothing blew up) the voltage was a little over 9volts
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

So momentarily touching the yellow/red wire at the start switch should tell the MPEM to deliver the voltage to the "out" yellow/red wire to the starter solenoid, so you obviously need voltage from the MPEM to the solenoid,

Do you have a manual on this ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No manual only a parts catalog. I consider myself somewhat mechanical but I'm still having a hard time visualizing this. If I gounded the yellow/red that would be connected to the start button (which is coming from the MPRM) and then check the voltage at the yellow/red at the starter soleniod isn't that coming through the MPEM? If I trace the yellow/red going to start button connector it leads back to thee MPEM?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

I'm going to give you the manual, I want you to check the lanyard switch, not sure if you did that yet ? when you get this link, download it to your desk top and make sure you save a copy .

You need to do this on your PC, the file is 51mb