Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I can't get my outboard to power up. The connection is good

Customer Question

I can't get my outboard to power up. The connection is good going down, but nothing when I hit the up button
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I have power with the unit going down, but there seems to be no power when I trim the unit up.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get the make, model and serial number please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mercury 115hp s/n A180118
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

The trim has 2 solenoids one up and one down. Locate the solenoids they will be on the side of the motor next to the start solenoid. The top solenoid is the up solenoid. Jump the 2 large terminals together. Does the engine tilt up?

Here is a diagram of the trim solenoids the 2 top solenoids are for trim.