Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

1981 seaswirl 185 horse omc motor.The powertrimm and starter

Customer Question

1981 seaswirl 185 horse omc motor.The powertrimm and starter worked I parked the boat for 1 week now the starter and power trim do not work.Have new battery,new powertrim switch,new ignition switch. The pump,lights,gages,blower,stereo ,a full tank of gas all work but no trim and no starter just very light click from motor
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Have you checked all the battery cable connections? Are they tight and clean?

If yes then we will need a volt meter to do some voltage tests.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The conceptions to battery was the first thing I checked but the battery cable to starter is hard to see or reach
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What do I test with volt meter
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

If the solenoid is clicking it is either a bad connection or the solenoid is bad. Now since the trim doesn't work either this points to a bad battery cable connection. Is the battery fully charged?

Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

We need to test the voltage at the battery cable connection on the starter with key in crank position. What is your voltage reading?