Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Wont shift into reverse (alpha 1 outdrive) earlier in

Customer Question

wont shift into reverse (alpha 1 outdrive) earlier in reverse would not shift into forward
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: throttle handle and cables 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: pearl ????? where are you ??
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

This is a sign of the shift cable going down the the drive is going bad.

Check the gear lube in the drive to rule out possible drive issue. Remove the bottom drain plug let a little lube out. Replace plug what color is the lube?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Lube is fine.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Ok go to the shift bracket where the shift cables connect. Remove the bottom cable and move the cable in and out is it stiff and slide smoothly?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will have to check it out tomorrow. The throttle handle and cables were replaced 2 years ago for the same problem. Expensive to repeat every 2 years
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

No the cable that is the problem here is the cable going to the drive. This cable wears out. More often then the shift cable from the control. You have 2 cables for the shift. One from the control to the shift bracket then one from the bracket to the drive. The throttle cable has nothing to do with shift issues.

Post back when you get the chance to check that cable.