RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Yamaha Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Serv Mgr, G/M
10825618

My Waverunner flipped in the lake. Stayed upside down a

Customer Question

My Waverunner flipped in the lake. Stayed upside down for only a minute or two. Got it righted, and it starts and runs, but it will not go over 10 mph. On trailer, it revs nicely all the way up, but in the water it is a dog. Code #1. Rev limiter light not on.
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 8 months ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

Would you mind stating the make, model and year of your ski please?

Thanks

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't know all of the details. It is a Yamaha Waverunner. I think it's about a 2006. I'm unsure of the size of engine, but I think it's around 1100-1200
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. To be able to provide you accurate, usable information, it is imperative that we know exactly which model you have.

The year of the ski is the last 2 digits of the Hull ID, which is at the back right corner of the deck.

Inside the engine compartment, there will be a Yamaha model description. IF you could pull those two pieces of information and get back to me, I would be most appreciative and best prepared to address the symptoms on your ski.

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. No problem! It will most likely be tomorrow, if that's ok.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 8 months ago.

Absolutely. Whenever you post I get a notification and your question is always put on top of everything else because you added to it. So whenever you get the info, post it here and I will get back to you.

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2005 Yamaha FX 1100 high output 4 Stroke MR-1; 20 Valve fuel injectionI think that's about all I have as far as info. I can send the hull ID if you need it, though...
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Code 1 is a "normal" code, indicating that there are no detected problems in any of the systems that are monitored.

Right off the bat, I would suggest checking the air filter element to see if it got wet and is now restricting air flow. Reading in between the lines of your description of the problem, it will not achieve peak RPM's when in the water under load. A restricted air intake would be a possible cause for that. On the trailer, there is no load on the engine so it is always revs more freely on the trailer than in the water.

I would also suggest checking the oil to see if water got in it. Although that is not related to the performance issue you are experiencing, you certainly don't want to run the engine on diluted oil. There could also be a correlation between the crankcase being over filled with liquid now too. That would cause the crankshaft to be immersed in oil/water which creates hydraulic drag and can limit peak RPM's. Think about how hard it is to swing your fist under water and imagine that is what the crankshaft is trying to do inside the engine.

The next thing to do would be to remove and inspect the spark plugs. I would like you to describe what you see when you inspect them for me. What we would like to see is them all very similar in appearance. If one (or more) differ greatly from the others, please tell me, or better yet attach pictures of all the spark plugs.

Lets start there since the diagnostics do not indicate a component failure.

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, the oil is clean and beautiful! No milkiness whatsoever.I'll check the other things. Spark plugs are easy to check, and though I don't know exactly where the air cleaning element is located exactly (because I haven't looked for it yet), it shouldn't be too hard.Thanks! As soon as I check those things, I'll get right back with you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The air filter weighs like 8 lbs. It seems to be full of oil, not water. Plugs do not look fouled at all. All the same and clean. Gonna replace the filter as soon as I can find one locally. Anything else I should check in the mean time? Thanks for your help so far.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 8 months ago.

Nope. I suspect you have found your problem. Replace it and test the craft in the water again. Let me know if you need more help.

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks! I am ordering a filter, and it may take a while to get here. Is there a time limit on this chat now that we've found the likely culprit? Not sure exactly when I can get the hull in the water again.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 8 months ago.

No time limit and paying doesn't end the conversation. We can continue to work either way. It shouldn't take more than a week to get a filter. Yamaha has 3 warehouses strategically located across the US so that should not be an issue. Generally, the delay in receiving parts is generated by the dealer ordering the parts, meaning they only order once a week (or less) than it is by Yamaha. Unless a given part is on back order from Yamaha, Eta should be right around 1 week no matter what.

Customer/p>