Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2008 fx 1100 waverunner, no problems all year or

Customer Question

i have a 2008 fx 1100 waverunner, no problems all year or last year, after riding 30 miles down the river today, i stopped on a sand bar to strech my legs, when i pushed off an went to take off i couldnt get over 4 miles an hour without the jet ski vibrating really bad an making a lot of noises at the back coming from the bottom. i made it back to the ramp, pulled out went home an hooked to the water hose an ran it for a while no noise or vibrations, even when i rev it up, i took the intake plate off the bottom, shaft seems fine no play, doesnt appear to be anything wrong with the prop, what is my problem/
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 5 months ago.

HI and thank you for your question.

This certainly can be a frustrating experience.

Due to the chronology of the events you shared, I would suggest pulling the pump out and getting a better look at the impeller. I suspect you picked up a rock and bent a blade. The rock went through the pump, did its damage and is now long gone.

While you have it out, you can also check the rear bearings separate from the front support.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is it possible for the impeller to become loose from the shaft? An can you tighten it without have to take the pump out? The shaft feels tight, an the bearings feel good an tight, the blades on the impeller seem ok, an when you run it out of the water an with water hose hooked up, it seems fine an makes no noises at all
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 5 months ago.

Yes and no, the answer to your questions in the order you asked. However, it is highly improbable that it has come loose. It is designed with reverse threads that would encourage tightening, not loosening.

I understand you ran it out of the water with no symptoms, but it is still not operable in the water. When the pump is not in the water, there is no resistance, so to speak, to the pump turning, and therefore not a great test of pump condition. We know something is wrong, we just don't know what, yet. Therefore, we need to be able to scrutinize the assembly, and the only way to do that is to remove the pump assembly. It is exactly what would be done if you took it to a shop, minus the several hundred dollar service bill to do so. You wouldn't want a shop to leave any stones un-turned, and neither should we. If they gave it back to you saying it isn't making noise on the flush kit, would you feel like they had helped you at all?

Let me know,

Thanks

Customer/p>