Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I am having trouble starting my Yanmar 1GM10. A mechanic

Customer Question

I am having trouble starting my Yanmar 1GM10. A mechanic looked it over, could not start it with ether, and announced it had no compression. in fact, it can easily be hand turned without a wrench. Help!
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Apparently, fuel is not an issue. Low compression seems to be the culprit
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Well you have a possibility of a stuck valve which will cause no compression. Does the engine have any compression? Usually if the compression is going it gets worse and worse not just all of a sudden.

Did the mechanic remove the injector and do a compression test?