Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

1982 60 hp top spark plug dosen't spark

Customer Question

1982 60 hp top spark plug dosen't spark
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Have you tried swapping the coils see if the spark returns to top plug? If the spark returns to the top plug and moves to the bottom plug the coil is bad. If the spark still isn't back then we need to test the timer base. This will require a peak reading volt meter, DVA adapter or an ohm meter. The peak reading volt meter/DVA will tell us if you have a bad timer base or power pack. The ohm meter might tell us?

Post back with questions and findings.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks I followed the wiring from the coils reconnect the joint there's spark. Now it will not shut off. Lol
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Is the black/yellow connected to the power pack? If yes then you need to go to the back of the key switch and start engine jump from black terminal to the black/yellow terminal Does engine shut off?