Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA

I have a 1998 Kawasaki STX 1100 with no spark on all three

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Kawasaki STX 1100 with no spark on all three cylinders. I have replace everything to no avail.
Category: Boat
Expert:  LongTermTech replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Did you replace the computer?

And be it noted: this one is mentionable for carburetor clogging. Have you tried cleaning out the carburetor with solvent? it might be necessary, since gasoline unmixed with oxygen/air is nearly unburnable.

This page gave me that bit of inside detail:

and there's lots of discussion there about the issue.

If this helps with the problem and answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not have spark on all three cylinders? Has nothing to do with fuel??????????

So you're testing the plugs without their being mounted in the engine, in other words.

Well... sparks jump when sufficent voltage is across an air gap. About 1,000 Volts per inch of air gap, is needed for the spark to jump.

If a spark does not jump, sufficient voltage is not being generated, or is not being transmitted to the electrodes on either side of the air gap.

Be sure you aren't

A. grounding out or providing a sneak path that grounds out the voltage... being dismounted from the engine, this is possible.

B. using dirty or loose connections. Or a defective cable... use a meter to test continuity on *all* cables, assume nothing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm using a spark tester! I have no spark and no voltage to all three coils!

Is it possible that your spark tester is defective? make sure the tester and/or volt meter is working.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have no voltage going to the coils ? Are you reading my answers? You are not asking the questions I would expect from an " expert"

I feel I am making no progress with this case, so I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts.

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry I clicked on the wrong question