Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a digital Faria depthfinder with air and lake water

Customer Question

I have a digital Faria depthfinder with air and lake water temperatures within the gauge. at the end of last summer the water temperature stopped working. How do I trouble shoot this issue?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

This is a pretty straight forward unit as marine electronics go. Follow the black and white wires from the control head to where they connect with the sensor. Make sure that the white and black wires are still attached. If they are still good. You would be looking for another unit. Page 2 has the diagram.

http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0197_D_DTDS-manual.pdf

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Charles,My boat is in storage out of state and I have not had the chance to look at the wires. Is it possible that the sending unit has gone bad?Thanks,
Scott
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

it is very possible that the sending unit has failed. Marine electronics, being exposed to the elements can fail at just about any time.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If the wires are still connected, is there a way to test the sending unit before I spend the money on the gauge? Thanks, Scott.
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Only by inspecting the wires from one end to the other. Unless you can locate someone with a head unit that you can use for a test.