Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

Would you have the wiring diagram round throttle switch on

Customer Question

Hi, would you have the wiring diagram for the round throttle switch on the old Powerdrive 665?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Is this a Minn Kota trolling motor that you are working on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Charles. Yes, it's a Minn Kota I picked up used but it's not wired right. It only works on one speed ahead and one in reverse. It appears to be missing wires. I've taken a few photos if you want to see.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here's the housing.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The switch is completely cylindrical. I couldn't find one like it from the Minn Kota service manuals.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The positive and negative leads from the battery are connected to leads on the outside of the switch. The central part of the switch has leads with numbers from 1-5.
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

that is an old motor for sure. You cant locate one, because it is NLA and has been for some time. I cannot even locate what may have taken its place.

Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Checking one last source

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I knew it was old, but I'm surprised that Minn Kota doesn't have any information on it. One would expect that even if a product is NLA, that service manuals and parts should be available somewhere. The motor runs fine, but it's going full speed all the time and I just need to find a way to slow it down.
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Minn Kota did not even offer an alternate for the switch. I was looking at another 5 speed switch, but I dint thing that it would fit into the housing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** saw that switch and it wouldn't fit.Appreciate you looking into it for me. I don't like to throw things out just because their old. This unit would be easy to fix if I simply had a proper diagram of how it all goes together. I'll just keep going by trial and error and will likely find a way to fix it myself.Cheers,Al