Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a pair of Mercury Verado 300s. The starboard engine

Customer Question

I have a pair of Mercury Verado 300s. The starboard engine seams to be leaking from the seals and bering on the steering tube. Can these seals and bering be replaced and how do I remove the steering tube from the transom assembly?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

It this the upper of lower seal?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Seems to be the lower seal Ref No. 12 I think in the parts manual.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that diagram. So I have removed the Power Trim Assembly and it looks like the leak is on the bottom of the transom assembly where the Steering Tube (25) goes in the transom. Wondering how to remove that tube to replace the seal and most likely the bearings too.
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

You have to gain access to part 14. Then remove the bolts 16. This is a major task as the powerhead and mount cradel have to come off as well.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That is what I was afraid of. Can the engine just come off of the transom at the pivot point?
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Checking on that

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks.
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

If you have a way to totally support the weight of the rest of the engine, yes, you should be able to get pin 36 out and you would also need to remove the upper pins for the trim rams.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks. We can put a strap around the engine and keep supported with a fork lift. Is there instructions on removing the tilt pin (36)? Also will the power steering system need to be drained and bled after doing this?
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

To remove the pin, you need to take the snap rings that hold it in out. Then carefully drive it out. The steering should be ok since you do not need to open the cylinder up.

This engine weighs in at 600 lbs. Make sure that it is a good solid strap.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Your welcome. If I have helped you, please select a positive rating for me if you have not already done so. This is the only way that the site credits me.