Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

My motor will not stay running unless i keep pushing the

Customer Question

My motor will not stay running unless i keep pushing the little prime button on the front of my 2009 9.9 mercury serial 0R294127
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: It will not idel at all unless you keep pushing the little prime button on the motor not the big prime bubble on the hose by the tank
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Yes i think its the fuel pump but not sure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Has the engine been sitting unused for awhile?

It won't be the fuel pump as you would have to squeeze the prime bulb by the tank. It is more likely the carburetor.