Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 1972 mercury 7.5 horse 3280647. Purchased at estate

Customer Question

I have a 1972 mercury 7.5 horse(###) ###-#### ***** at estate sale and never had really running properly. It will not fire or start, In the normal choke-no choke with throttle on start position.If I put the motor in gear and set the throttle to the fast position it will often start on the first pull and run fairly good. This works so so on the pond but not so much of the test tankCarburetor seems a little wet. I did take it off and go through it but it looks very clean inside put her back on no changes .
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is Kerry

When you open the throttle, you give it more air.

It sounds like it's getting too much gas with the throttle in the normal start position.

Did you replace the inlet needle and set the float level?