Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Yamaha 2005 9.9 Engine: 5Y MXM. 3232 GA; T 9.9 EL H2D; 66R L

Customer Question

Yamaha 2005 9.9 Engine: 5Y MXM. 3232 GA; T 9.9 EL H2D; 66R L 100 23 38
Good Morning: Yesterday, after a five month storage, I launched my sailboat,
started the engine and noticed that the there was not the normal stream flow of water coming out of the right side of the engine, and there was also water coming out of a hole in the back, about the same elevation as the normal hole above mentioned. I put my finger over the rear hole and felt the pulse of what felt like exhaust.
I do not ever remember seeing water coming out of the rear hole before.
Is this indicative of an internal problem?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Hank, my name is Jason.

That 2nd hole that you are feeling is called an idle relief hole. The outboards exhaust system runs through the middle section, and then down and out of the lower unit, through the propeller. When the outboard is in the water, this entire cavity is flooded with water. This water creates back pressure on the exhaust, which makes the engine have to work harder to obtain a proper idle. Because of that, the engineers "add a hole" in the exhaust system above the water line. This is the idle relief hole. When the engine runs, 99% of all cooling water comes out of the exhaust system. The idle relief hole is part of that exhaust system, so it is normal to see it spit a little bit of water here and there. Does that all make sense to you?

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

I think that should do it but I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

It looks like you read my reply without putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Hank, just checking in, did you have any other questions on the issue?

Thanks,
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hi Hank just checking in. Was there anything else?