Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 98 searay 210 that I was having stalling issues

Customer Question

I have a 98 searay 210 that I was having stalling issues with going from forward to reverse. The mechanic that serviced my boat to launch it for the season said the throttle cable was stretched and he replaced it. I took the boat out to fuel it and the throttle felt a little unpredictable. When I went to back it into my slip I gave a little throttle to slow it down to tie off and put handle in neutral. The boat shot in reverse a almost full throttle and I hit the concrete deck. No visible damage , motor runs fine but prop won't turn. The mechanic that did the work said neutral safety switch failure is problem!! Yes? No?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

This is more likely a shift cable issue. When the shift cable going to the drive gets stiff it will cause unpredictable shift issues. Starting with stalling of the engine. When the cable starts to go bad it causes the shift interupt switch to stay engaged to long causing engine stall. It also cause slow engaging of the gears.

So we need to disconnect the shift cable going to the drive and shift the drive by hand the cablke should slide smoothly with little resistance.

The neutral safety switch only come into play during starting of the engine. The inly this it does it not allow starting the engine in gear. If engine is in gear it will not start. Once engine is running it does nothing.

Post back with findings and questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The shift cable was replaced prior to launch.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Which shift cable? Was it adjusted. The only thing that will cause when shifting is cable or adjustment. The throttle cable has nothing to do with this issue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will talk to mechanic and see exactly what was done and get back to you
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.