Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

1987 Mercruiser 454 engine in Sea Ray 250 CC. Runs great to

Customer Question

1987 Mercruiser 454 engine in Sea Ray 250 CC. Runs great to start then has chugging choking fit trying to run at only 1000 - 1500 rpm. Won't go over that RPM acts like flooding with strong gas smell.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Remove the flame arrestor from the carburetor. Start engine let run till it acts up shut engine off. Is the choke plate open on the top of carb? If yes then advance the throttle to full throttle look down inside the carb do you see fuel puddled in the bottom of the intake?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Ok the carburetor needs to be removed, disassembled, cleaned and have a carb kit installed. What is happening is the inlet needle that controls the flow of fuel into the carb is sticking from wear or debris in the carb. This allows the carb to flood causing your issue.

So the carb has to be rebuilt. When you disassemble the carb it will damage the gaskets and it isn't wise to reuse any of the old parts so rebuild is the only option.

Post back with questions and concerns.

Thank you.....Tan

Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get credit for helping you.

Follow up questions are always welcome at no extra charge on this subject even after you have rated.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Carb was gone through and rebuilt and it still does it.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

The carb is still flooding? You still see fuel dumping down into the intake?

Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Do you have a yellow colored hose going to the carb?