Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2005 Crownline 223. Yesterday while driving in

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Crownline 223. Yesterday while driving in fairly smooth water at 3000 rpm, 30 mph after ~30 minutes the engine just stopped as if the key had been turned off. Radio worked but it would not turn over. Checked kill switch and breakers behind dash, nothing seemed amiss. 15 minutes later, it started and ran normally
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My phone number is: ************
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hi Hank, my name is Jason.

That 2nd hole that you are feeling is called an idle relief hole. The outboards exhaust system runs through the middle section, and then down and out of the lower unit, through the propeller. When the outboard is in the water, this entire cavity is flooded with water. This water creates back pressure on the exhaust, which makes the engine have to work harder to obtain a proper idle. Because of that, the engineers "add a hole" in the exhaust system above the water line. This is the idle relief hole. When the engine runs, 99% of all cooling water comes out of the exhaust system. The idle relief hole is part of that exhaust system, so it is normal to see it spit a little bit of water here and there. Does that all make sense to you?