Whitecap36, Marine Technician
Experience:  28 years Certified Marine Technician and past FL State Certified teaching degree

2004 115 efi I was driving across lake no problem. When I

Customer Question

2004 115 efi I was driving across lake no problem. When I slowed to idle the engine died. It tries to fire but wont start. If I put it in neutral 1/4 throttle it starts and runs fine but as soon as I shift to idle it stops. I replaced spark plugs and fuel filter and fuel and cleaned injectors to no avail. All wires and hoses look ok. Primer pumps up hard. I suspect idle control motor. How can I bypass it.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Whitecap36 replied 4 months ago.
Hi I'm Mike,
Have you tested fuel pressure with engine running and during failing mode? Pressure port is located on fuel line in lower part of cowling close to fuel rail. It looks like a tire air valve. Fuel pressure should run around 50 psi plus or minus 5. If this pressure drops at point of failure this gives us a troubleshooting direction to follow. If you able to test this please tell me when and i will look for your reply.
Thank you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Fuel pressure is good. Service manual says 41-44 psi. Injectors squirt good when I remove fuel rail and crank engine. They seem to give one good squirt then nothing.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did not get a reply to my last email where I said fuel pressure was ok. Since then I have tried turning the idle adjustment screw one turn in to crack the throttle plate open a little. The engine starts and runs fine. I think I may have a bad throttle control motor.