Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Will a 81 25 hp work with the 50 steering cables

Customer Question

will a 81 25 hp Johnson work with the 50 steering cables
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

That depends on the model of the engine and the type steering.

Could I get the engine model number please?

On the steering cable is it just a cable or is it a cable in a tube with a bracket? As in this diagram A or B? A

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1957 Crestliner original cables, I have not purchased the motor, I want to know if an 81 Johnson 25 horse motor will work with the old 1957 cables.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

As I stated it depends on the engine model. I need the engine model number. I have no idea what steering cable a 1957 Crestliner has.

What engine did the Crestliner have? 50 What?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I bought the boat used a few years ago. It has Evenrout 33 horse Sea twin motor I think a 66. The steering cables one runs starboard and one runs port. The steering wheel has drum steering. I have not purchased the 81 Johnson 25 hp. It is for sale and if it works out I will drive to Columbus ( 2 hrs away) and buy it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Electric start also
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Yes they are compatible. The steering will connect to the front of the 25 in the same manner it does on the 33. The control cables will also work. Now the electrical is going to be different. Does the 25 have the start and stop button on the engine or is the engine remote electric. This means you need a control box to operate the start?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK that helps. Thank you I can take it from here.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Your welcome...................Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get credit for helping you.

Post back if you need further assistance.

Thank you........Tan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He answered our question. Very helpful. Thank you
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Please don't forget to positively rate my service by clicking on the star at the top. 3 or more stars please.

Thank you.......Tan