Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 60HP 2012 Bigfoot Mercury on my whaler, just bought

Customer Question

I have a 60HP 2012 Bigfoot Mercury on my whaler, just bought used; when throttle level push forward, no increase in RPM or acceleration; took it to mechanic and they changed fuel tank, filters, lines, gas and the filter tank inside the engine; still does the same thing; noticed though that engine revs up fine with fast idle lever; almost wondering if this could be an issue with the throttle lever or throttle sensor; engine is fuel injected.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: engine starts right up; runs in slow idle at low RPM just fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Good morning my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Pop the engine cover off and located the throttle cable. Is the cable attached to the motors throttle linkage?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi; this is Charlie;I will check that out and get back to you
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Hi Charlie,

Let me know what you see

Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Were you near the outboard by chance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the throttle cable linkages look like they are attached and when I move the throttle forward the linkages seem to work properly
Expert:  Jason replied 4 months ago.

Are you able to tell which one is the throttle cable and which one is the shift?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how can I tell which is which? when I move the throttle forward, both move a linkage, but one moves over a greater distance than the other
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello Charlie, my name is***** will assist you.

the throttle cable is the upper one on the engine. Is it moving first then you move the control?