Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma

I have a 1986 50hp outboard with power trim. The motor is

Customer Question

I have a 1986 Johnson 50hp outboard with power trim. The motor is stuck in the down position, I believe the trim fluid has all leaked out. I have unscrewed the pressure release valve, but I can only manually lift the motor approximately 3 inches
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: It seems something is preventing it from being manually raised the rest of the way, but cannot locate any other tilt release.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. When you say you have unscrewed the release valve, have you unscrewed it just a little bit? it needs to be turned around 5 complete turns and you need to apply a bit of force to tilt the engine as it will not be easy.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have backed the pressure release screw out as far as it will go. The motor did drop approx 3". I can raise it freely that 3", but nothing more. There is little to no fluid left in the cylinder and I need to get it raised in order to gain access to the filler.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I gave you the wrong info, this is a 1989 Johnson 50.

ok no problem about that at this stage i am confused as the manual release screw will disconnect if you open it all the way. Can you send me a photo of what you have screwed out?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have released the screw on the side through the motor mount hole

Ok that should be the one, it should come out completely.