Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have an 85 horsepower Suzuki that runs fine when you first

Customer Question

I have an 85 horsepower Suzuki that runs fine when you first unload it and take off , you can run for miles and it is fine. When you shut down to fish for awhile and then go to take off again it just sputters and hiccups and quits over and over. I put a small inline fuel pump in the gas line but that didn't help. I've had mechanics look at it and say they think they have it but it just keeps doing it.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

First off, do a compression test on the engine. Make sure that they all are even and over 90 PSI. If that is good, the issue sounds like a vapor lock issue. Try next time that you are out, after running the engine and stopping, take the engine hood off until you are ready to restart the engine. If it will now start, you will have a cooling issue on the engine. Replacing the water pump and the thermostats would be a place to start for it.