Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Researching friend. : 95 fast strike 150 surging at just

Customer Question

researching for a friend.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 95 johnson fast strike 150 surging at just before WOT. Accelerates strong till 4200 rpms and Boggs down. Throttle back slightly to 3800 rpms and surges. Eng should run to 5500
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

When the engine start to act up have you tried squeezing the primer bulb?

If you haven't you can try the primer bulb if no change choke the engine if no change run the engine on a small portable fuel tank.

Post back with findings and we can get an idea of what needs to be done.

I will also need the engine model number?

The problem you have is fuel starvation.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Lake was too rough to get to bulb at speed. I did notice bulb does get soft after the engine runs for a while. Three squeezes and hard again. Bumping choke Boggs eng. I'll get eng number and have him replace bulb with longer hose so it can be squeezed while at speed.
Expert:  Tan replied 4 months ago.

Ok the bulb doesn't stay hard after the engine is running. The bulb is on the suction side of fuel pump so fuel only flow through the bulb. The bulb would have to be on the pressure side of pump to stay full while running.

Keep me posted.