Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I'm getting a 4 beep alarm, whats wrong?

Customer Question

Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

At about what RPM are you getting the alarm?

Would you please post the serial number of the engine?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I get tis anytime, mainly while crusing. the serial is 1b198356
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Looking at the coils on the engine, are they with 5 wires? If so, can you read the embossed numbers that are on them and let me know what they are?

How is the engine running when this happens?

Does he boat have a volt meter, and if so what does it read when this happens?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they are 5 wire, the number is ***** 879984. the motor ran ok till he hit the up trim button than it wanted to die. the volt meter kept going down. this is my sons boat and he was setting on the river for quite awhile with the stereo and amp running. he has a deep cycle/ starting battery. I had this battery checked and it was ok. this battery is only a 490 cold crank, and 175 on the cycle side. he also just old me it was a 3 or 4 beep. can you still figure it out?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

It would be a 4 beep.

Can you run the motor on a hose and use a multimeter to test the voltage right at the battery? This may just be that he needs a larger rated battery for the system that he is using.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can do that tomorrow. Thank you that was what I was thinking. one more question, can I put 2 say 570 cold crank hooked in pearall, would the motor be able to charge both?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

I would just go with something like a 800 CCA/ 1000 MCA battery. If you added a second, you should also add an isolator to not burn up the charging system.

I should be on here all day tomorrow. Let me know what you find out on the battery voltage.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I'll let you know tomorrow. thank you
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Your welcome.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the battery read 12.9 volts before starting and 12.4 volts after starting at about half throttle
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Ok, look on the left side of the engine and locate the voltage reg. It is a 2 inch square box. See if there is a fuse holder near it, and is that fuse still good.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
found a box about 2 inches square with 4 fuses in it they all looked good
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the box on this engine with the matching wires and shape has a different number, 892114-002 I cannot find any fuse by it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
also has 1025 after the number
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

The numbers are fine. I was just using the pic as a reference.

Did you charge the battery over night, or has he ever been stuck while on the water due to a dead battery?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we charged it. he has never been stuck on the water
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Still have that multimeter?

If so, on the voltage regulator, disconnect the red going to it. then using the meter set to resistance, place the red meter lead in the red regulator wire, and take the black meter lead to the metal case of the regulator. Do you get a reading there?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
got a reading of 4.9
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Ok, can you try the same test on the yellow wires?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no readings off the yellow wires
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Ok, thats good.

The alarm had to be caused by the low voltage on the battery. I would still look at getting a larger capacity battery and running it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
when we ran the motor shouldn't the voltage have gone up to the battery?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Yes it should have.

The first test that you did on the regulator showed that it is grounded, The one that I sent you in the link is a direct replacement and is much less that the factory one. CDI makes very good products and they have a good warranty as well.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do I need a regulator or just a battery? I'm questing this because when you run a car the meter will show 13 plus volts going to the battery. when you shut the motor off the voltage at the battery drops back to 12 volts. doesn't a boat charging system work the same?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

The regulator and I would also recommend the bigger battery for when the engine is not running and the sound system is.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK thank you! have a good day
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Have a good one as well.

Your welcome. If you would, please select a positive rating for me. That is the only way that the site credits me for assisting you.